Tuesday, February 6, 2007

This could be the start of a beautiful obsession

This movie sounds like it could be the male-counterpart to Veronica Mars. Therefore, I must see it. The Minnesota Daily refers to Brick as a film noir, and also says it's "described as 'Twin Peaks' meets 'Donnie Darko'." Not only was I thoroughly intrigued by Donnie Darko, but Twin Peaks is something that helped to inspire Veronica. I will probably be heading down to Blockbuster (yeah, I broke down and got a membership) at the end of this week. More to come on that later...

2 comments:

Fillmore said...

I can confirm that Brick is in fact very excellent. It's a noir film set in a high school, and it's similar in many ways to the Coen Brothers movie Miller's Crossing, which is basically my favorite movie ever.

Leslie said...

I second the motion that _Brick_ is *amazing*. It's great to see the noir genre reimagined and recast this way. Brick finds ways to use the same conventions, language, and archetypes in a new setting: high school. And really, is there a shadier, more harrowing place on the planet?

P.S. Props on the Veronica Mars love. I'm mildly (OK severely) obsessed with this show, as you may have seen on my blog.